Saturday, July 31, 2010

I take for granted that most of you have not had the opportunity (or in some cases the desire) to learn about D.I.D.

So, because some of you have questions and because I'd like to give you the fullest picture I can of my life and what it's like to live with....others....this will be my attempt to fill in the blanks

D.I.D. was previously referred to as Multiple Personality Disorder (M.P.D.). It has been changed in recent years (I'm not sure of how recent to be exact but in the past 10 or so years). And this is for a few different reasons. One of them being that MPD can send a message to people that you have more than one "developed personality". What I mean by a developed personality is a being that A. does not know they share a body with a host (in many cases alters do not realize without being informed that they share a body and often see themselves in different bodies than their ACTUAL body), B. They have their own identity, mannerisms, voice, interests, posture, etc. C. Having more than one ability and by that I mean to say they can both cry and be happy.

In some cases, a "personality" is not a developed one, meaning they serve one and only one function. For example: a fragment can ONLY be angry.

Fragments are kind of like a piece of a personality. One mode only. In many cases it's assumed that the host is just, overly angry or maybe not even that, maybe just extremely angry, rather than appearing as if they have "shifted" into being something or someone else....

There are people who just dissociate and revert back to an age where they were happier, or to a point in their life that was less stressful. In my case, I used to do just that, dissociate, which is why it was a very long time before anyone knew I had alters. On the surface it would seem I just had forgotten how old I was, where I was, things of that nature. My voice would change but being that it looked like temporary amnesia no one would pay much attention to that. In the beginning that's what I thought was happening, that I was just forgetting, and after a while the younger version of me that was coming out and actually believed I was still 14 years old, started showing herself as an individual. She had memories of my childhood I didn't because she was there to experience them, not me.

There are physiological changes that can take place when an alter takes over. Heart rate, metabolism, disabilities.

I know for sure, that one of my alters comes out when I have a migraine that won't go away on it's own because she never gets migraines, so her coming out is it's own version of advil.

Well I'm really tired so I'll have to add to this a little later.

No comments:

Post a Comment